Friday, June 7, 2013

RE: Social Media The Good the Bad and the "Not so Private"

1. Yes I am a member of a social networking. I use it as a way to keep track of news and other things I am interested in. For example during the Boston bombing I heard about it through the website Reddit first.
2. No, I haven't. The information I use is outdated and it is already out there so I see no point in updating my privacy settings. I feel like if someone is determined enough they would be able to find out m information anyway.
3. I have definitely thought about people knowing my address or my whereabouts. However I feel that it is to easy to find out this information. Google searches as well as some smart programs can reveal your phone number then from that, your location. Little pieces that you leave behind can reveal much about you.
4. One of the things I don't post is my actual location. It may be a worthless attempt to try to hide my location but it makes me feel a little more protected. Another thing is my real address as well as my real age. I avoid my real age to get access to age restricted things such as m rated video games, etc.. I also do this in order to avoid  people judging me because of my age or finding out my real information rather than the false ones I have created.
5. We can definitely be more responsible users of social media in many ways. When creating an online account try not to link them all together. This may allow people to create a huge web of information around you based on pictures and videos post. If you even mess up on one of them people will be able to know. I think this is important because it just leaves you wide open when you are on vacation. If someone discovers your address they could break in to your house and you wouldn't even know.

No comments:

Post a Comment